Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-12-05 544
This traditional Irish recipe is both delicious and filling! A classic combination that you're sure to love!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Calories: 325 per serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 450 grams ground beef or lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas or veggies
- ⅓ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter/margarine
- 1½ glass red wine
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large amount of mashed potatoes (~6 cups)
- 1 egg, beaten
- grated parmesan or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
- Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.
- Season with black pepper and thyme.
- Cook until browned then drain fat.
- Add the butter and peas.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
- Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy.
- Remove from heat.
- Grease an ovenproof dish (9x13" or so) with butter and add the sauce.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over top.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with parmesan/cheddar cheese if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.
- Wait 15 minutes to cool and them serve!