Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-12-05 530
Perfect mashed potatoes with the perfect texture. A great side dish for almost anything!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: makes about 6 cups
- 1.3 kg (3 pounds) gold potatoes (about 8-10 medium potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup half-and-half (can also use milk but half-and-half works better)
- 125 grams cream cheese, softened
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Put potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, and cold water to cover in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 16 to 20 minutes or until tender
- Drain the water but keep stove on
- Return the potatoes to the pot and add butter, half-and-half, cream cheese, pepper (to taste) next and remaining 1 tsp. salt
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture boils.
- Remove from heat and mix for 2 minutes or to desired degree of smoothness. (Do not overbeat.)
- Serve immediately.