Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-09-25 526 1
This Indigenous bread-like recipe is a great snack or side dish!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Calories: 300 per serving
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- vegetable oil, olive oil, of canola oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the olive oil or vegetable oil and mix together
- Add water and stir until the dough almost holds together.
- Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead (pushing the dough away from you with your palm, folding it over with your fingers, and pulling it back) about 10 times just until the dough comes together (the dough will be sticky, do not overknead).
- Divide into 5 or so balls and flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Pour hot oil on in medium-sized pan on medium heat (enough to cover the bottom of a medium-sized frying pan),
- Fry until golden brown on one side, then flip it over and fry until brown on both sides (and cooked on the inside).
- Drain on a paper towel covered plate and eat warm or at room temperature.