Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-12-12 525
Perfect for the colder weather! Tender beef is simmered in broth and filled with tender veggies. It’s comfort food heaven!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Calories: 450 per serving
- 900 grams stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 6 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 450 grams peeled and cubed potatoes (about 4 medium sized potatoes)
- 4 carrots (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 4 stalks celery (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (use flour if you don't have any)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup peas
- Combine flour, garlic powder and salt & pepper.
- Toss beef in flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Put the beef and onions into the pot and cook until browned.
- Add beef broth and red wine while scraping up any brown bits in the pan.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except for peas, cornstarch and water.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour or until beef is tender (up to 90 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch and water to create a slurry.
- Slowly add the slurry to the boiling stew to reach desired consistency (you may not need all of the slurry).
- Stir in peas and simmer 5-10 minutes before serving .
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.