Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-12-12 564
Eastern European dish that's both filling and delicious! Try it as a side dish to your next big meal!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Calories: 120 per cabbage roll
- 1 head green cabbage
- 450 grams ground pork (or ground turkey)
- 225 grams ground beef
- 2 small onions diced (or 1 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) undrained
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups and ⅓ cup tomato sauce or pasta sauce (divided)
- 1 can tomato soup
- Boil cabbage leaves about 2 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package directions but reduce cooking time by 5 minutes so the rice is slightly underdone. Set aside.
- Cook beef, pork (or turkey), onions, garlic & seasonings until no pink remains.
- Drain any fat. Add in rice, diced tomatoes, ⅓ cup of tomato/pasta sauce, salt & pepper.
- Stir in egg.
- Mix tomato sauce and tomato soup in a bowl.
- Spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a 9x13 pan.
- Remove or thin any thick stem on cabbage leaves.
- Lay the cabbage leaf flat and add ⅓ to ¼ cup filling to the center of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up. Place seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat with remaining cabbage.
- Pour sauce over the cabbage and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 75-90 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.