Red Velvet Cake
This unique cake is both sweet and delicious! This recipe will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Servings: about 10 slices of cake
Calories: 300 per slice
Red Velvet Cake
- 2⅔ cups cake flour (spooned and levelled)
- ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter/margarine (softened to room temperature)
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup (120 ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 (30 ml) bottle liquid red food color
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1⅓ cups (320 ml) buttermilk (room temperature)
Cream cheese icing
- 350 grams brick-style cream cheese (softened)
- ¾ cup butter/margarine (softened to room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the red velvet cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans well with nonstick cooking spray, line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl mix together (ideally with an electric mixer) the butter and sugar on medium speed for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix until fully combined, then mix in the oil, red food color, vanilla extract, and vinegar stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the following order: the dry ingredients, butternilk, and then the dry ingredients again. Do that 3 times (make sure to mix each addition until just combined and be careful not to over mix the batter)
- Even and spread out the cake batter between the two cake pans.
- Hit the pans gently but with some force on the counter 2-3 times to remove any air bubbles from the cakes.
For the cream cheese icing
- In a bowl (ideally with an electric mixer) mix the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the butter and mix for about 30 to 60 seconds until well combined and smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
To assemble the cake:
- Level the tops of each cake with a knife or cake leveler.
- Put one of the cake layers on a cake stand or plate, top with a layer of frosting, and smooth it out into one even layer.
- Place the second layer on top, then use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the cake.