The perfect Italian appetizer to a perfect mealtime! The meaty sauce, the creamy ricotta and the melty mozzarella cheese on top of toasted bread is absolutely irresistible!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition: 300 calories each
- 16 slices baguette or french bread (cut 1/4 inch thick)
- 375g Italian sausage
- 375 ml Italian-style tomato sauce (use your favorite Italian sauce)
- 225g ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)
- Line up baguette slices on a large baking pan.
- Bake baguette for 8-10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Then remove from oven.
- In a large pot/pan on the stove cook the sausage, breaking it up into pieces as it cooks. Add the tomato sauce and bring it to a simmer. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Mix together ½ cup parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese. Evenly pour cheese mix on crostini, about ½ tablespoon per bread slice. Cover crostini with sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella cheese (if there’s any left)
- Return to oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese starts to melt. Place the crostini on a plate.
- (Optional) Put a bit of fresh basil on top, if you wish.