This is a famous Spanish recipe that's delicious and flexible! There are so many variations of this recipe that you can add, subtract, or change certain ingredients if you wish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Calories: 530 per serving
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Onion , diced
- 1 bell pepper , diced (red, or green, or both)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes , finely diced (or 250 ml tomato sauce)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads (or substitute with tumeric)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (cut into pieces)
- ¼ cup flat leaf Parsley (chopped)
- 2 cups Spanish rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups seafood broth
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ lb (¼ kg) Jumbo Shrimp or prawns (about 12) peeled, tail on
- ½ lb (¼ kg) Mussels (about 10-12), cleaned properly (beards off)
- 250 gramd calamari rings (optional)
- Lemons, to garnish
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is clear.
- Add chopped tomato, bay leaves, paprika, saffron, salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add chicken pieces, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and Spanish rice to the pot.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the broth slowly all around the pan and gentle shake the pan to get everything into an even layer. (Do not stir the mixture from this point on!).
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth just once or twice during cooking. (Don't ever stir the rice, so that a crispy crust forms at the bottom).
- Cook for about 15-18 minutes (uncovered), then add in the shrimp, mussels, calamari, and peas on top and continue to cook (without stirring) for about 5 more minutes. Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. (If for some reason your rice is still not cooked, add ¼ cup more water or broth and continue cooking).
- Remove pan from the heat and cover it with a lid or tinfoil.
- Place a kitchen towel over the lid or tinfoil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Top off with fresh parsley and lemon slices. Serve.