Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-09-29 556
This classic North American style comfort food will surely warm you up and leave you wanting more!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Calories: 335 calories per serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion -diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper-optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (450 ml) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (240 ml) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes.
- Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne (optional). Stir until well mixed.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.