Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-10-08 570
This Italian style chicken-potato soup has a bit of a spice that makes this dish unique flavour flavourful!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Total servings: 4
Calories: 700 per serving
- 500 grams (1 lb) Italian sausage (spicy or mild)
- 3 medium to large unpeeled potatoes (sliced)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (not needed if Italian sausage is spicy)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tbsp garlic powder)
- 2 cups kale, veins removed (chopped & packed in measuring cup kale
- 950 ml chicken broth (add 1 envelope of chicken bouillon or 1 tbsp of chicken Stock for extra flavor)
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons flour or cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream (tempered with half cup of water)
- Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces and cook with chopped onions until browned and meat is ground in bottom of your soup pan over med-high heat.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to Sausage and cook until the aromatics of the seasonings blend together.
- Reduce heat back to medium and place, potatoes in the pot.
- Slowly add the Chicken Stock and water and stir. (use Chicken Bouillon envelope for extra flavor is Chicken Stock is weak).
- Cook potatoes medium heat until potatoes are soft and stir occasionally
- While potatoes are cooking, in a separate pan cook bacon on medium heat
- Once Potatoes are done, add flour or cornstarch and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting and sprinkle in your kale and cooked bacon
- Slowly pour cream while stirring.
- Check for taste and then serve.