Italian Wedding Soup
Prairie Tokki LV 10 21-11-28 545
This traditional Italian soup is perfect for casual and fancy meals!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Calories: 400 per serving
- 225 g lean ground beef
- 225 g ground pork
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ tsp minced fresh oregano
- ½ cup finely shredded parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups
- ¼ inch diced carrots
- 1¼ cups diced yellow onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 4 cloves minced garlic (1½ Tbsp)
- 2000 ml (2 litres) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry acini de pepe or orzo pasta
- 6 oz chopped spinach
- Finely shredded parmesan, for serving
For the meatballs:
- Add beef and pork to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, parmesan, egg, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Gently toss and break up mixture with hands to evenly coat and distribute.
- Shape mixture into very small meatballs, about 3/4 inch to 1 inch and transfer to a large plate.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the meatballs and cook until browned, turning occasionally (to brown on 2 or 3 sides), about 4 minutes total.
- Transfer meatballs to a plate lined with paper towels while leaving oil in skillet.
- Repeat process with remaining meatballs (note that meatballs won't be cooked through at this point, they'll continue to cook in the soup).
For the soup:
- While meatballs are browning, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, onions and celery and saute until veggies have softened about 6 - 8 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in chicken broth
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in pasta and meatballs, reduce heat to light boil (about medium or medium-low).
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender and meatballs have cooked through, about 10 minutes
- Add in spinach during the last minute of cooking.
- Serve warm, sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.